I adapted this recipe from one for grilled beets with a yogurt sauce. I could not find za’atar seasoning, so I went with harissa and sumac for my yogurt sauce. I also used goat milk yogurt, because I do not eat dairy from cows. I like that in the original recipe they grilled the beets, a great way to prepare them during the summer months when it can be too hot to turn on the oven. This recipe is bursting with flavor, and with minimal ingredients and steps I hope it becomes one of your favorite dishes as it has become one of mine!
- 3/4 cup goat milk yogurt, plain
- 1 tsp harissa
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1-1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbs parsley, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 small beets, cleaned and quartered
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbs parsley, minced
- pinch of harissa and sumac for plating
1.Place quartered beets on a baking sheet with parchment. Coat beets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast at 425°F for 40 minutes.
2. While beets are roasting combine all ingredients for yogurt sauce. Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
3. Once beets are done cooking top with yogurt sauce, pinch of harissa, sumac, and 2 tbs parsley.