I adapted this recipe from one for grilled beets with a yogurt sauce. I could not find za’atar seasoning, so I went with harissa and sumac for my yogurt sauce. I also used goat milk yogurt, because I do not eat dairy from cows. I like that in the original recipe they grilled the beets, a great way to prepare them during the summer months when it can be too hot to turn on the oven. This recipe is bursting with flavor, and with minimal ingredients and steps I hope it becomes one of your favorite dishes as it has become one of mine!
- 3/4 cup goat milk yogurt, plain
- 1 tsp harissa
- 1 tsp sumac
- 1-1/2 tsp lemon zest
- 1-1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbs parsley, minced
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 small beets, cleaned and quartered
- olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbs parsley, minced
- pinch of harissa and sumac for plating
1.Place quartered beets on a baking sheet with parchment. Coat beets with olive oil and season with salt and pepper to taste. Roast at 425°F for 40 minutes.
2. While beets are roasting combine all ingredients for yogurt sauce. Cover and store in refrigerator until ready to use.
3. Once beets are done cooking top with yogurt sauce, pinch of harissa, sumac, and 2 tbs parsley.
Yogurt buttons are a cool and refreshing treat during the hot summer months. I like this recipe because it is versatile, quick, and easy.
1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt
1/2 cup Fresh Fruit (I used mango)
1 tablespoon Fresh Lime Juice
1. Puree yogurt, fruit, and lime juice using a blender, food processor, or an immersion blender.
2. Pour mixture in to a ziplock bag and cut off the corner. The yogurt mixture will begin to pour out once you cut the corner, have your cookie sheet ready.
3. Squeeze quarter sized dots on to a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper.
4. Freeze until ready to eat.
- Use any fruit you like
- For more fruit flavor use 3/4 cups of fruit
- For more sweetness use orange juice instead of lime juice
Months ago I came across a recipe for Lemon Ginger Crispy Treats. Lately I have been craving sweets and finally made them, with a few modifications.
1-1/2 tablespoons Fresh Lemon Zest
1/3 cup Candied Ginger, chopped
4 tablespoons Unsalted Butter
3/4 cup Agave Syrup
7 cups Puffed Rice Cereal
8 oz Dark Baking Chocolate
1. Zest lemon and chop ginger. Set ginger aside.
2. Melt butter and add agave syrup, lemon zest, and puffed rice cereal. Mix until cereal is well coated.
3. Pack cereal mixture in a greased 9 x 13 pan, Because agave syrup is not as sticky as marshmallows you need to really pack the cereal mixture in to the pan. I laid a sheet of parchment paper over cereal mixture and pressed it as tightly as possible. This will ensure your crispy treats stay together and won’t fall apart on you.
4. Melt chocolate and evenly spread over packed cereal mixture.
5. Sprinkle chopped ginger over the top and place in the refrigerator to set.
6. Run a spatula or knife around the edges of pan and cut in to squares.